Goals and Objectives
To realize the strategic goal of creating communities of practice in which accomplished, culturally-responsive teachers systematically integrate education and traditional culture to foster healing and positive change, the HEART program has established the following objectives:
- Establish operational Communities of Practice in target areas within four years.
- Secure the foundations needed to establish and operate the four Community of Practice Circles in the target areas during Year 1, the planning year.
- Throughout the 3-year program period, teachers will make professional connections that allow focus on personal sustainability and growth strategies to function effectively as educators in challenging, high-needs situations (Self).
- Over the 3-year implementation period, teachers will be provided with the tools to create culturally-responsive learning environments (Other).
- During the 3-year implementation period, teachers will be exposed to professional reflection and accomplished teaching.
- Throughout the program period, technology will be implemented so teachers can amplify learning and make effective connections between curriculum, students, colleagues, community and the larger world.
“I am a red man. If the Great Spirit had desired me to be a white man he would have made me so in the first place. He put in your heart certain wishes and plans, in my heart he put other and different desires. Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for Eagles to be Crows.” – Sitting Bull, Hunkpapa Lakota (circa 1831-1890)